[Nfbc-info] Paratransit regulations

Mary Willows mwillows at sbcglobal.net
Tue Mar 29 22:22:05 UTC 2016

I believe all the ADA says is that alternative transportation must be
offered during the same time the fixed route buses are running.  The
Department of Transportation oversees the ADA regulations but your local bus
company contracts with a third party to offer para transit services.  So DOT
says there must be an alternative service and then the Livermore Amidor
Valley Transit Authority contracts with MV to provide that service.  In
fact, technically, blind people should not be using para transit at all.  So
if they are allowing you on the bus, be greatful.  Our contract says that
you cannot live within 2 blocks of a fixed route bus stop.  Blindness is not
really a reason to be picked up door to door.  Para transit was intended for
wheelchair people and other severe disabilities.  If you are just blind and
your legs work to walk and you have the cognative ability to get on a bus
and pay your way, you are really not supposed to be using para transit.
This is a perfect example of where you have to decide if you are vanilla or
chocolate.  You can't have it both ways.  That is to say, wanting
preferential treatment on the one hand and then wanting to be viewed as an
independent disabled adult on the other hand.

This ought to spark some lively discussion.  Don't you think?
This is the perfect time for the San Diego Chapter members to try and get on
the advisory committee for your transit system.  Ask Dennis Russak.  He
knows all about the ADA service in Sacramento.  He is Mr. Transportation.
Jim served on our local para transit advisory committee for many, many
years.  The really funny thing is that the members were quite often late for
the meeting because they relied on para transit to get them there.  It was
perfect.  Management saw first hand how inefficient the service was.

It would be very interesting to see what the listers say about this topic.
It's a button pusher.

-Mary Willows
The National Federation of the blind knows that blindness is not the
characteristic that defines you or your future.  Every day we raise the
expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles
between blind people and our dreams.
You can live the life you want; blindness is not what holds you back.

National Federation of the Blind of California (NFBC)
3934 Kern Court
Pleasanton, CA 94588
925-462-8575

Thank you,