[Nfbc-info] Paratransit regulations

Michael Hingson mike at michaelhingson.com
Wed Mar 30 01:20:42 UTC 2016

Thanks Brian for the clarification. I agree that this subject is a
button-pusher, but you expressed my feelings quite well. I think it is
unrealistic to say that blind people should not use para transit simply
because they can use their two legs to walk to a bus. Para transit was
created to be kind of an equalizer for those who cannot easily get to fix
route buses OR who cannot drive or have constant or good access to
automobiles. Blind people were definitely part of the class intended to
access para transit, but we should look at whether it is the best solution
for us depend on the situation.
When I worked in Marin I used para transit daily since it got me to my job
in less than 20 minutes. The nearest bus stop was three miles away. Karen
could not drive me to work daily.
I believe the choice to use para transit is the same one Dr. Jernigan talked
about when he discussed using a sighted guide. It is a personal choice AND
it is also a matter of what is the best choice at the time.

Best Regards,

Michael Hingson

The Michael Hingson Group, INC.
"Speaking with Vision"
Michael Hingson, President
(415) 827-4084
info at michaelhingson.com
To order Michael Hingson's new book, Running With Roselle, and check on
Michael Hingson's speaking availability for your next event please visit:
www.michaelhingson.com

To purchase your own portrait of Roselle painted by the world's foremost
animal artist, Ron Burns, please visit http://www.ronburns.com/roselle