[Nfbc-info] Paratransit services

Rochelle Houston rhouston58 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 18:26:01 UTC 2016

Good day to all,
I disagree that blind people should not use paratransit services. I feel that there is a broad brush being painted over this topic that is unfair. As was stated  by others on this listserv, there are certain circumstances and situations in which some blind people use paratransit. For those who object to blind people using paratransit services, what is your means of traveling throughout the city? Are you using public transportation only? I use paratransit, Uber, public transportation and family members to get around the city. It may be the distance from the house to the bus stop or some may lack the  skills, confidence or independence needed to travel on public transportation. Using Uber and family members may not be an option for some due to funds. We should focus more on how we can help blind people build confidence and independence so they too, are able to travel independently  on multiple means of transportation. For those of us who have good traveling skills,  find someone to mentor by taking them out and help them to develop the skills necessary for them  to travel independently too.
Rochelle Houston
Treasurer, National Federation of the Blind of California
President, Pathfinder Chapter Los Angeles
rhouston58 at gmail.com
323 807-0300
The national Federation of the blind knows that blindness is not the characteristic that defines you or your future. Every day we raise the expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles between blind people and our dreams. You can live the life you want. Blindness is not what holds you back.