[nfbcs] Trojan aftermath: help needed.

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Fri Dec 12 16:33:02 UTC 2008

Alan,

Hopefully I can save you a little time.  I did a search on this category of Trojans, and I am over my head on this one.  My interest in what Internet Explorer said was
only whether you were getting the typical error that you could not be connected to the site or whether it was some other type of error that might point more
specifically to Internet Explorer being corrupted.  I fear you may need to get some local help.  Someone suggested System Restore.  Unless you truly know when you
got the virus, you may well restore the virus.  I see that one even needs to be careful of removal tools out there as they could be variations on the trojan itself.  I
would be surprised if anybody's warranty would cover this but I suppose it is worth checking.  Also, if it is a Dell machine, asking Dell makes sense since they may
have a tool.  This looks like a real bad one and I'm sorry to hear that you were infected.

On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 09:19:14 -0600, Alan Wheeler wrote:

>Steve,
>Okay, First of all, let's run down the programs:
>1. Internet Explorer: I open it, and no matter what page I go to, I get a page saying "Internet Explorer cannot display the page.  In a separate message I will copy
and paste the entire page for you to review.
>2. iTunes and Juice: The programs open, but cannot, apparently, connect to download.  I discovered that Juice wasn't in my Firewall exceptions.  I added it, and it
scanned the feeds but found nothing.  This leads me to suspect there is still a connectivity issue.  As for iTunes?  It doesn't seem to be able to connect to the proper
servers at all.  I even ran a diagnostic on it, and had no luck.

>I have run Spybot search and destroy, AVG Free antivirus, and even system mechanic trying to rid myself of any and all remnants of this trojan.

>The trojan itself is a variant of the Zlob trojan.  It disguises itself as any number of antivirus/anti-spyware programs that claim to want to scan your system and then
offer you a program to purchase to clean your computer.  This is merely a ploy to get credit card information.