[nfbcs] YouTube Image Capture Accessibility

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Thu Dec 25 17:19:53 UTC 2008

Hi Marvin,

I wish I had answers for you but I don't, but I do have a lot of sympathy and I have shared your frustration.  In fact, I
have quite often needed sighted assistance even when the audio CAPTCHA alternative was provided because it was
so intentionally garbbled to avoid voice recognition software.  I was somewhat involved in the National Federation of the
Blind's legal action to correct problems with the Target web site, and I also currently serve as the vice-president of the
National Federation of the Blind in Computer Science.  We also have a Research and development Committee that tries
to address problems upon which I serve.  I explain this only to make the point that I can speak firsthand of the
frustrations we are all feeling in finding answers that we can swallow for various security aspects of accessing web sites,
of which CAPTCHAs are one aspect.  The laws that we have here in the United States do not provide a strong enough
lever to force changes to all web sites although we're working on that.  We have also struggled with finding alternatives
to CAPTCHAs that would not in effect treat us as spammers, but the answers are not obvious.  Even audio CAPTCHAs
are not a perfect solution because they do not work for persons who are deaf or have serious hearing loss.

Most obvious solutions simply have too many holes in them.  Telephone staff alternatives are just not acceptable in my
opinion because regardless of whatever is promised, staff gets reduced and response time is not considered important.
We know that there are options that have not been adequately explored, such as offering description prompts for single
words, but so much of what benefits us as blind persons in technology is also helping spammers and hackers.

I guess all I am saying, Marvin, is that there a lot of us struggling with this problem and looking for answers.  We have
seen a lot of progress with respect to information access, but we are also seeing some real challenges just now as well,
and CAPTCHAs are one example.  Doing what you have done, making your feelings known to the site involved, is very
useful even if not very satisfying.  Many developers just don't know we are out here and making them aware that we are
increases the chances of better solutions in the future.  Thank you for doing that.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson