[nfbcs] VPN clients and JAWs or window eyes

Doug Lee dgl at dlee.org
Sat Nov 1 03:42:14 UTC 2008

My experience with the Cisco VPN software is that the day-to-day use
of it is not too bad.  I offer the following notes though:

You might have to tab and/or arrow around a couple of times to get the
VPN connection you want highlighted and spoken correctly in the
treeView of connections, assuming you see one of those.

You should be able to press Enter or Ctrl+O to connect once you've
picked a connection.  You should land in the password field if you've
been using this before and already set up your user ID.

I find the Cisco VPN client crashes periodically if I keep
reconnecting without restarting it.  The crash occurs when I try to
connect (Enter or Ctrl+O as just mentioned).  The crash does not
happen on the first attempt to connect after a reboot, only a random
subsequent attempt.  I've seen this issue in multiple Cisco VPN client
versions used by several different companies.  I don't know if it's
related to a screen reader running, but since I don't hear of this
happening to sighted users, I suspect it's either that or the use of
the keyboard instead of the mouse that triggers the issue.