[nfbcs] How did NLS pick it's beta testers?

slery slerythema at insightbb.com
Mon Aug 24 03:49:37 UTC 2009

My library sent out our newsletter about two weeks ago and said that
machines would arrive and start being distributed in September. It will be
on a roll out basis and for our library the machines would be distributed in
percentages based on veterans, centenarians, those that took our library's
survey and indicated that we wanted one as soon as possible, and the final
group would be those the librarians felt should be in a special group that
was not indicated above. They indicated that that special group would be
people like students or professionals that they felt should be included the
group.

The system of percentages per shipment they are using will place veterans
and centenarians at a larger percentage but it means that people in these
other groups would not have to wait until all veterans and all centenarians
have machines. Anyone wanting to be included in the request group can call
and be added. Since our regional library finally got added to the state
computer system, it shows that I have a reservation for a dtb machine and
the date requested.

The article also indicated that NLS is leaving distribution decisions up to
the individual libraries. It also stated that they would only get so many
per shipment and that it will take 18 to 24 months for everyone to get a
dtb.

I hope this helps you and you can probably call your own library and see if
they know how they are going to be doing distribution and if you can be
placed on a list to let them know that you are eager to get a machine and
hopefully that will bump you up in the queue above people that don't care or
don't want to switch until they absolutely have to.

Cindy