[nfbcs] Follow-up, Text Editors

John G. Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Thu Jul 23 20:42:33 UTC 2009

I've been using TextPad for many years. I registered it probably 12 or 15
years ago and even though I've updated TextPad many times, my license key
just keeps working.

Positives for TextPad:
1. Easy
2. Save as unix, PC, or Mac file format
3. Stable

Drawbacks:
1. Config screens have accessibility problems
2. No built in sftp
3. Doesn't work with nvda

I tried to switch to another text editor a couple of years ago because
TextPad doesn't have sftp. I actually registered ultraEdit but I had to
abandon it because it kept crashing when I edited a php script remotely. I
also tried edsharp but I didn't like the hotkeys. I think a Windows text
editor should use the same keys as notepad. You shouldn't have to learn how
to use a text editor. You might have to learn to use some of the advanced
features but you should be able to edit a file 10 seconds after you run the
text editor for the first time, IMO.

Then I discovered a product called sftpdrive. It allows you to map a windows
network drive to any computer running an ssh server. So when I need to edit
a config file on a linux machine, I map a share to it and open the file with
TextPad. Very efficient, very nice.