[nfbcs] Speech with supplemental large print

qubit lauraeaves at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 6 13:26:32 UTC 2009

Hi Tracy -- Yes, Vista was probably one of the best large print solutions I
used back when I was able.  It was half hardware and half software and
piggy-backed on the PC's video card to enlarge the screen.  I was sad to see
it go when Windows moved from a novelty to a necessity in the workplace.
But you know, even though I still had some vision when that happened, i
found it was much easier to use speech with a GUI than screen enlargement.
Maybe because my vision was that bad -- but I had trouble enough
distinguishing letters in large print because of the distortion in my
vision, so the thought of enlarging and staring at graphics as well was
downright painful.  Also, I don't know if this is true of most partials, but
different color combinations were more easy to see than others, and I needed
bright white foreground on a dark background, and with a GUI it is harder to
impose that kind of control on the interface.

Anyway, back to Vista, that name has been used for a number of technical
entities over the years -- The screen enlarger was one, a C programming
language test suite was another, and of course Windows had to use that name
too.  And who knows what else.  It's amazing how the copyright of that name
never stuck. But of course, Microsoft could get by with using anything...
Remember the lawsuit of Apple vs Microsoft for using the name "Windows",
which was a Mac term? Apple lost, then later Lindows came out for linux, and
Microsoft sued and lost that time, for the same reason it won against Apple.
So what goes around comes around...*smile*

Happy computing all!
--le