[nfbcs] Jarte

Joe Orozco jsorozco at gmail.com
Wed Nov 11 16:02:28 UTC 2009

Steve,

Think of WordPad on steroids.  The menus are expanded with greater
functionality, but they are logical in structure and easy to access.  I've
only been using it for less than a day, but I am very much impressed, this
from a guy who has spent time working with a wide range of text editors and
word processors.  My primary reason for giving Jarte a try was to try to
find a way to avoid the formatting errors I inadvertently find in my Word
documents.  Underlining only one heading somehow manages to underline the
whole section, and so forth.  I think Jarte gives you greater control over
text, but bear in mind this is only an early evaluation.

The font reports are the only minor glitch I've found with JAWS
accessibility.  I'm extracting this information from a screen character.  In
Jarte, JAWS reports the character is 15 point.  When I open the same
document in Word I am informed the character is in fact 12 point, the way I
set up Jarte to display.

Another minor annoyance, something that happens with both Word and Jarte, is
that JAWS no longer reads "right aligned" or "centered," etc. when applying
the corresponding keystroke.  JAWS 7 was the last time I was able to hear
that audible cue, but it may very well be something I have failed to uncheck
somewhere.  Regardless, you can confirm alignment with a different
keystroke.

On the whole, I am very impressed with Jarte and may very well replace
EdSharp as my easy text editor since Jarte could feasibly handle both simple
text files and more complicated Word files.  Give it a try.  I think you'll
find it most useful.

Joe Orozco

"A man who wants to lead the orchestra must turn his back on the
crowd."--Max Lucado