[nfbcs] Notetakers vs. netbooks

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Fri Sep 18 18:07:17 UTC 2009

Is there a good reason, other than a built-in braille display, to buy a
notetaker instead of a netbook?
The weight of the netbook seems about the same as that of many notetakers,
and it runs off-the-shelf software.  Of course, one would have to add the
extra weight and space of a braille display, which could be a drawback.
Someone told me that netbooks have trouble running speech, but another
person said she'd had no problems.  The netbooks I saw online look to be
more powerful than my old laptop, and smaller.
And a netbook is a whole heck of a lot cheaper than a notetaker, even one
without braille.  So what are the drawbacks?  Why aren't most blind guys
buying netbooks instead of notetakers?
Just curious, and wondering if I should replace my old laptop with
something new and snazzy.
Tracy