[nfbcs] Notetakers vs. netbooks

Gary Wunder gwunder at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 18 18:24:58 UTC 2009

Hello Tracy. I think one of the reasons people are not moving in large
numbers to netbooks and away from notetakers for the blind is that
integrated braille support, no matter what screen reader you seem to use, is
not nearly as good as with a document stored on a notetaker. I can deliver
remarks at a reasonable rate of speed with a document which has been sent to
the BrailleNote, but I certainly can't make that claim using Jaws for
Windows even on a display which is twice as long. I think you also have to
address the question of how much setup time you want once you get somewhere
and decide to take a note, check your calendar, or look in your telephone
list.

Some of the notetakers have pretty impressive times when you look at how
long they will run from a fully charged battery. I think the BrailleNote
advertises something like 21 hours. Most laptops I've seen are stretching it
if they say three hours but since netbooks don't have any motorized hard
drive, my guess is that their battery life is considerably longer.

Lastly, as we found with the KNFB Reader classic, people don't like to carry
around multiple chargers to support one unit. If you're braille display can
be adequately powered by the USB port, then this isn't an issue, but if it
runs from its own internal battery, then you have another plug to find in a
hotel or a classroom.

Warmest Regards,

Gary