[nfbcs] Notetakers vs. netbooks

John G. Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Fri Sep 18 22:09:51 UTC 2009

I bought a Pac Mate because I wanted a braille display and a GPS. I got it
used so the Pac Mate was only about the same cost as what it would have cost
me to buy a notebook and a talking GPS.

I've found that I could get along without the braille display though. I'd
rather have Windows XP so I could run more software. I am a systems
administrator and I really need to be able to map network shares, do ssh,
etc.

That's why I said I'd buy a notebook if I had it to do over again. Not that
I don't like the Pac Mate.