[nfbcs] Notetakers vs. netbooks

John G. Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Mon Sep 21 15:09:50 UTC 2009

Yeah, the braille display does come in handy a lot. But at most meetings I
wear a headset with one speaker.   I think you want the immediate feedback
on what you're typing.

On the other hand, if you have to relate a phone number or a URL or
something like that, a braille display is useful. Otherwise, you keep asking
the speech synthesizer to repeat the number so yu can relate it. But it is
far easier to just read it a character at a time on the braille display.  If
I had to make a lot of phone calls, I'd want a braille display.

Also, A lot of times when I'm using the GPS, there's traffic around, and I'm
asking myself, "What did it just say?" And then you can check the braille
display instead of trying to get the speech synth to repeat itself. So on
the one hand, a braille display is a really nice thing to have with a GPS
but on the other hand, who wants to carry around a braille display when
they're using their GPS?

IMO, it's a tough issue.