[nfbcs] Looking for tips for programming in a mainframe environment

Gary Wunder gwunder at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 20 22:18:41 UTC 2011

With regard to number one, Scripting can make some of these
things tabable.  JAWS, for example, can know the terminal
emulation software and be taught to extract the essential
elements of various screens.  It can also have keystrokes which
are dedicated to a particular application so finding certain
strings or moving to various locations can be triggered  with a
key press.  You need a good scripter to help and I recommend
Frank DePalermo of Ability Consulting.  He is findable on the
web.

Learning to conceptualize by row and column is doable.  The
problem you are having is the reverse of what we mainframe guys
had to face when people told us to think in pixels.

With regard to number 6, what you are being asked to do is no
different from what a Cobol programmer is asked to do when
encountering the newer languages.  You need to read and become
familiar with the syntax even though you will find it verbose
compared with the syntax of newer languages.  The fact that it is
a bit more wordy should actually make it easier with speech
because JAWS and WindowEyes know how to pronounce the verbs Cobol
will use.

If I can help, please feel free to call.  I don't have all of the
answers but this list is a good place to start.

Gary Wunder