[nfbcs] Is there a PRO / CON list for screen readers

Graham Mehl blind at trailstone.com
Fri Dec 28 09:40:43 UTC 2012

Hi All,

I was trying to resolve a screen reader issue I am having at work and got
into a discussion with a colleague about screen readers.  I quickly realized
I did not know all the various screen readers out there now. Does anyone
know of a place I can get a list of screen readers that are available now?
And even better yet a Pros and Cons list for each. One of the issues I am
trying to resolve is how to communicate between two OS platforms (Windows to
Linux [Redhat or CentOS]).  And the second major issue is communicating
between two [remote] desktops. The only screen reader I am currently aware
of that handles  these issues to any degree is JAWS from Freedom Scientific.

I know there are a couple different applications that may assist with the
communications aspect. I am trying to determine if the limitations are on
the applications or the screen readers themselves. Either due to a lack of
knowledge or ability to communicate I could not explain to my colleague why
X11 forwarding would not work with screen readers.  I believe the
applications that can handle the X11 forwarding, like VNC viewer, are not
accessible.

Thank you in advance for any information and insights.

--

Graham

blind at trailstone.com