[nfbcs] Is there a PRO / CON list for screen readers

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Fri Dec 28 16:38:45 UTC 2012

In addition, in some cases you can access a Linux machine through the network from Windows using a terminal emulator.  This works all right if what you
want to do is to run commands but won't give one access to the GUI on Linux.  So it depends if you are wanting to manage a Linux machine or use as
many apps as possible.

If you were to find a pros and cons list for screen readers, you would have to be very careful to know when it was updated.  I have been involved in the
past in writing reviews for screen readers with the intent of giving people a way to compare them, but updates happen so fast that it is very difficult to keep
such documentation current.  For example, one screen reader might pose a real disadvantage with a certain important application, but a minor upgrade
might well correct the problem.  Publishing information that is incorrect is worse than not publishing information at all.

While both Window-Eyes and JFW allow accessing a remote desktop, they require that a copy be installed on that remote desktop.  In some employment
settings, that is just not practical for security or stability reasons.  If you want to access a computer you operate remotely, you can do that.  It isn't clear to
me if you need JFW Professional or not to do that, but if you do it costs extra.  JFW has the largest market share and is the screen reader that most people
are familiar with, but Window-Eyes is pretty compettitive and offers payment alternatives such as leasing to own that JFW does not have.  There are a
number of options with System Access as well that are less expensive.

There are a number of Linux flavors that include speech.  If you are installing Linux on a computer you maintain, looking for one of those would be
worthwhile.  There are people here who use Linux who can give you information on where to get Linux screen readers and how they can be installed on
an existing installation of Linux.  To be of much more help would require that we know more about what you need to do.  I do not believe there is such a
thing as a "best screen reader" though, there are too many variables.  You have to consider what you need to do, and you must also consider what
resources are available for help if you need it.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson

On Fri, 28 Dec 2012 07:02:26 -0600, nancy coffman wrote:

>Window Eyes allows Cittrix and some remote access. System Access by Serotek also has a remote incident manager. I don't know much about other
operating systems and how to access them. I know there several versions of Lynix. Each uses its own screen reader. I don't know of a screen reader that
reads across multiple platforms. What does the Lynix machine do? Is it a server to the Windows machines?