[nfbcs] Braille Note Email Problem

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Tue Mar 13 14:33:26 UTC 2012

Fred,

This could be finger pointing, but unfortunately sometimes it is the combination of devices that seems
to be the problem.  What I am about to write is based on my experiences with a BrailleNote MPower and
probably won't cover the Apex.  You have probably already done this, but try doing a reset with the
wireless card inserted and see if that helps.  If it doesn't, remove the wireless card, do the reset and
then re-insert it.  I have found that at different times either scenario may resolve the problem.

Look carefully at your wireless card to be sure it has not been dammaged.  Our first card was
mechanically dammaged after a time and we had to replace it.  On the brailleNote we had before the
MPower, the socket that the card was inserted became dammaged after a time.  You could try turning off
your BrailleNote and then carefully insert and remove your card a few times in case there is something
on the contacts.

If none of the above works, are you able to connect with the internet at all or is it just e-mail that
doesn't work on the BrailleNote?  Are you using an MPower or an Apex?  If you are using an MPower and
you don't have e-mail or internet access, try unplugging the power from your router, waiting for thirty
seconds or so, and then plugging it back in.  I have never been able to get an explanation as to why
this happens, but I've had a problem where our BrailleNote MPower gobbled up all the DHCP addresses and
then couldn't get another address.  You might need to reboot any device that is on and connected to your
router when you unplug it.

If nothing here works, or if you have an Apex and not an older BrailleNote, Write back telling us
exactly what error message you are getting and whether you are getting internet access even when you
can't get e-mail.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson