[nfbcs] How The Blind Are Re-Inventing the iPhone

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Fri May 4 12:29:43 UTC 2012

Huh.  Do people actually use GPS every time they step out the door?  I
have Sendero GPS, running on a Braillenote PK, and I may use it once, if
I'm not sure of a new route, but certainly not every day.  And I find it
extremely unreliable in midtown Manhattan.  It frequently says I'm on a
street 2 blocks from where I actually am, and/or heading in a different
direction than I am.  Even here in suburban Jersey, I was unable to use it
to find a new bank address.  The bank is back in a parking lot, but the
GPS didn't even say I was close, although I'd programmed it as a
destination. I couldn't rely on GPS alone.
Is the IPhone GPS that much superior to the Braillenote?  Please only
answer that if you'd had experience with GPS in a big city with tall
buildings.
Tracy