[nfbcs] GPS on your phone (was How The Blind Are Re-Inventing the iPhone)

Jim Barbour jbar at barcore.com
Fri May 4 15:20:28 UTC 2012

Hey Everyone,

I certainly don't use GPS every time I step out the door.  However, I do have GPS apps on my iPhone, and I do use them to help find new addresses I've never been to, to virtually explore what's in a neighborhood, and to figure out where I am when I loose my route.

The iPhone doesn't have particularly good route following apps yet. That is, an app where you type in an address, and expect the phone to guide you through every turn until you're standing in front of the building.  This is, by the way, the bar that many sighted folks use when choosing a GPS.

What the iPhone does have are apps that will tell you where you are, what businesses are nearby, and my personal favorite: direction and distance to a business or address.

I have no problems asking for help, which is another large tool in my O&M toolbox.  However, it turns out people are really lousy at giving direction, or even knowing exactly where they are.  You have to coach them into doing a good job.  Often, my phone is a safer bet. Asking for direction is a particular good way of navigating the last 100 feet, when the accuracy of the GPS and the maps mean that you're "as close as the GPS can get you."

Keep in mind that plenty of sighted folks also use GPS systems a lot when traveling.  It's not so unusual for blind folks to use them as well.  I will admit to being uncomfortable when I heard that O&M instructors are teaching blind folks how to travel with GPS.  This seems to be a little like teaching blind folks to take notes with a voice recorder.  In other words, teaching the easy way out.  I'd prefer that O&M instructors teach blind folks the harder skills, such s memorizing maps, getting lost and asking others for help, complex route planning, etc. It is, of course, really easy for blind folks to put too much faith in this technology, and this should also be discouraged.

This probably isn't the right list for a detailed discussion of specific iPhone apps.  The electronics-talk list has been seeing some iPhone discussions lately.  I also recommend the viphone list, which you can find here...

http://groups.google.com/group/viphone?hl=en

I have more to say about the article, but I guess I'll send another email since this one is already longer than I intended <grin>

Take Care,

Jim