[nfbcs] Window-Eyes and LaTeX

Nicole B. Torcolini at Home ntorcolini at wavecable.com
Fri May 4 17:42:59 UTC 2012

I do not think that there is a way to make any of the screen readers read
LaTeX in a pretty way; that is, saying one half instead of \frac{1}{2}. You
could try messing around with the pronunciation dictionary if Window Eyes
has one, but I am not sure how much you can do. If the LaTeX is embedded in
the web page, you can use Math Player, but I have found that I really do not
care for the long names that it gives some of the symbols. Also, if I
remember correctly, you get to hear the equation, and that's it; no moving
around in it.
    If you have Duxbury and an electronic Braille notetaker that has a
Braille display, you can paste the LaTeX into Duxbury and translate into
Nemeth to be read on your notetaker.
If you find that you are stuck just reading through the LaTeX character by
character, most of the LaTeX constructs are fairly straight forward.

HTH,
Nicole