[nfbcs] How The Blind Are Re-Inventing the iPhone

Jim Barbour jbar at barcore.com
Sun May 6 17:14:03 UTC 2012

Interesting take on this Aaron.  I must say I don't really agree with you that we're not reinventing the iPhone, just because we're not writing the apps.

I will absolutely say that the article had this "iPhones are making the blind independent" flavor to it that I did not like.  The iPhone is a new piece of technology - like screen readers, canes, and Braille - but it has never been the technology that makes us independent.  I also thought the line that said "Chalkias, Tatum's colleague, is not only an iPhone advocate who breezes through the device faster than a baby with an iPad", was an unfortunate comparison.

Having said all this, I'd like to point out a few things in the article's favor.

First, one of the main apps showcased in the article was The Sendero Group's "Look Around" app, which was created and designed by Mike May who is a blind person.

Second, many of the apps mentioned in the article were not written for the blind at all including the weather, audible, and heytell apps.

Also, let's not fall into the trap of believing that we're not having an impact on these apps because our name isn't on the packaging.  Plenty of blind people are impacting these apps by doing usability testing, collaborative idea sharing, bug reporting, participation in forums, etc.

Finally, I think the article got it about right with Android.  I'm a big Google fan, and would really like to see Android become a solid blindness accessibility competitor with the iPhone.  However, I see no real progress in this direction.  I'm happy to discuss that further if someone wants to bring it up on the list.

I do think it is possible, perhaps even likely, that there will be more android based appliances for the blind.  APH is building an android based note taker.  I strongly suspect that someone will figure out how to build a KNFB reader replacement on an android phone that will out perform existing attempts to build OCR apps on the iPhone.  I also think that wayfinding (GPS) would be another place where Android might outshine the iPhone.  However, I suspect these will be most successful as single use devices, rather than trying to build an all-in-1 iPhone replacement for the blind on Android.

Looking forward to hearing lots of comments,

Jim Barbour