[nfbcs] How The Blind Are Re-Inventing the iPhone

John Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Mon May 7 15:13:19 UTC 2012

Back on the original topic, I just got an iPad Touch on Friday. I've been
pretty skeptical of the rave  reviews I've seen from blind people about IOS
devices. But I went from saying to myself, "Oh my god what have I gotten
myself into," on Friday evening  to streaming "60 Minutes" out on my deck on
Sunday evening.  I even had it wake me up this morning.

I intend to jailbreak the thing, install an app that lets you tie a
bluetooth GPS receiver into Location Services, and then  install one of the
accessible GPS apps out there. Assuming it works, I'll have a talking GPS
for under $300. And not just any talking GPS, one that does web and email
too and even wakes you up in the morning.

PS: Just an aside... Kapten has stopped making the Kapten Plus and Leader
Dogs no longer sells them. They are saving the remaining few they have for
their students.