[nfbcs] VPN on a Terminal Server

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Tue May 8 14:39:53 UTC 2012

Leslie,

Nancy is right, but I believe that you have to be running JFW on both machines to use this feature.  Sometimes it can be difficult to get a screen reader installed on a remote machine for testing or on a machine
that is used by multiple people.  Employers don't want to risk software they know bringing down a machine that affects multiple users.  Of course we know screen readers never crash, but others don't
necessarily know that.  <smile>

There are times when the remote computer simply isn't practical.  Employer's sometime use it as an approach so that they only have to install software on one computer.  An employer can usually get by with
purchasing fewer licenses.  If it isn't practical to install a screen reader on the remote machine, it is sometimes a reasonable accommodation to allow a blind employee to have copies of software on their
machine.  People to use the remote approach successfully, though.

I didn't see if you got an answer about VPN or not.  VPN is simply a way to make a secure connection to a network through the internet.  In other words, when a VPN connection is made, your computer will act
as though it is at the remote site.  It will have the same capabilities and even limitations of computers on the remote network.  For example, when I connect to my employer through VPN, I can access servers
and internet sites that I can access when I am here at work.  Without a VPN connection, much of what I access here at work cannot be accessed through the internet.  Another way of saying it is that VPN
provides a tunnel from my remote computer through my employer's firewall so that my remote computer is behind the firewall just as though I were at my desk.

VPN is completely separate from remote desktop, but it is probably required in your example to be able to reach the terminal server from outside of the company.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson