[nfbcs] Eclipse (again)

Mike Jolls majolls at cox.net
Wed Feb 6 13:53:53 UTC 2013

I'm using Eclipse 3.4.2 and Jaws 13.  I thought the Java Access bridge also
had to be loaded to allow Jaws to read the Eclipse environment, but after
checking my Add/Remove programs in Win7, I don't see that the software has
been loaded.  Still, Jaws is reading the Eclipse window.  Anyway, that's the
configuration I'm running to make what I'm going to tell you work

Yes, I understand your frustration about not being able to "hover" over the
icons and read the pop-up error message.  Try this:

Use Alt-W to display the window menu.  This appears to be your "jumping off
point" for navigating.
Once on the Window menu, you can navigate the menu to get to some sub-menus
which will provide you shortcuts.
On the Windows menu, type "V" to select "Show View" sub-menu.  The sub-menu
gives you access to the Problems tab and Console tab and Package Navigator
On the windows menu, type "g" to select the "Navigate" sub-menu.  The
sub-menu gives you access to navigate through your editor windows
In both sub-menus, you'll find (as you move up and down) that menus have
shortcut keys.  You'll want to write these down so you can navigate directly
where you want to go rather than having to use the menu navigation every
time which will take you longer.

On the "Show-View" sub-menu
Arrow up and down to go through the list of available options.
You should find "Problems" and "Console" in this sub-menu - and you should
also hear Jaws read the shortcut key.
On my Eclipse version, here are the shortcuts that I'm immediately
interested in:
Alt-Shift-Q then X - takes you to the "Problems" tab where you can arrow up
and down through problems in your program
Don't have any unnecessary projects open - Eclipse displays all errors for
all open projects - Jaws may read more information that you want to hear.
Alt-Shift-Q then C - takes you to the "Console" tab where you can view your
console output.
Alt-Shift-Q then P - takes you to the Package Navigator" - the last module
you had selected in the package navigator is where you return

You can also switch between open editors - moving from class to class that
you're working on
Again, using Alt-W to display the window menu, select "g" for navigation
Now you can arrow up and down to find navigation shortcuts.  Here are some
you may be interested in:
Shift-F6  - go to next editor window
Ctrl-Shift-F6 - previous editor window
You can use this to move directly through your open class files in your
project.

You may also want to access a specific method in a specific class.  Here are
a couple of methods
If you're trying to correct errors, then go to your "Problems" window as
outlined above.
Once there, find the line that is in error and when the line is the active
line, hit enter.  Eclipse takes you into that class for correction.

If you're just trying to get to a specific class/method to modify it, do the
following:
Use the "next" and "previous" editor shortcuts to make the desired editor
window the current window.
Next, use Alt-W and find the Outline option.  Or, Alt-Shift-Q then O.
This takes you to the Outline pane which shows you the outline of the
current class you're editing.
You can arrow up and down to find the method you're interested in.  Eclipse
scrolls the editor window so that method is in view.
Note that this won't put you in the editor window.  Focus is still in the
Outline.
Use F12 to cause Eclipse to move to the editor window once the desired
method has been displayed in the editor.

These shortcuts I've outlined may not be the best.  Obviously, being able to
see normally and hover and read the error is probably the fastest method,
but when you can't do that ... well you have to do the next best thing.  I
have found the shortcuts to be pretty quick.  It's just a matter of using
them enough and committing them to memory.  Let me know if that helps.

Mike