[nfbcs] Inaccessible Training - again

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Mon Feb 18 17:54:58 UTC 2013

David,

I too am thinking strongly that coming up with a way to communicate to
companies about the advantages to them of accessible design could go a
long way to turn the pendulum swing back towards more of that. So far,
the ideas about that going around in my head keep colliding and heading
off in useless directions... I'm working on it! /lol/

What I'm really finding stunning, from the beginning of this whole
thread, is the amount of talent on this list that reports suddenly being
in the position that Tracy so efficiently stated: SOL until a sighted
co-worker can come along and click the mystery button on the screen for
them. Not to downplay the frustration and other negative effects of that
scenario on the individuals who are having to deal with it, but...

That's a big waste of talent for the employers. Only it seems the
problems most frequently stem from third-party software, meaning the
employer is kinda stuck with it, too. I'm guessing said software
upgrades have already been bought and paid for, so I'm not finding the
providers' motivation to fix it there. Unless I'm missing something?

So the law, especially if it can be brought to bear in a meaningful way,
is a useful tool for negative reinforcement when it comes to shoddy
product design and coding. The stick, I guess you could say, to back up
the carrot of the "here's how you can benefit from doing better"
approach. I'm not trying to say that any individual "should" sue, since
that is asking a lot of a person! Just saying that for those who are
willing and able to take that course, I think it does help overall.

I guess I'm suggesting that a multi-pronged approach to turning the
trend towards inaccessible design around again is what we collectively
need. What any of us individually can or is willing to do... Well,
discussing and tossing around ideas is a great start. I'll keep trying
to come up with an actually useful one... /smile/

Tami