[nfbcs] Inaccessible Training - again

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Mon Feb 18 21:06:46 UTC 2013

Tami,

I question to what degree most employers now care about usability.  I would even go a step further and say that many software
developers care more about having a feature than how usable it is.  This isn't to say that what you say is wrong, rather I just
have doubts that it can be leveraged to make change happen on a scale that we need it to happen.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson

On Mon, 18 Feb 2013 11:12:20 -0800, Tami Jarvis wrote:

>Operation Fulcrum seems descriptive enough. /smile/

>What I have found is that by tying accessibility to usability, it is
>quite possible to draw the lines for an exec to the profit margin
>because usability results in productivity.

>It's also very possible to draw the connection in discussing the
>development process, from several angles. Quite a lot of accessible
>design for the officially disabled really benefits the usability for the
>overall end user pool. So you can show benefit to more than that small
>minority of employees.

>The very small time (and thus expense) spent in building in that
>accessibility/usability) from the outset can also be shown to save a lot
>down the road for any application, from inhibiting the dreaded project
>creep to work in all that useless whiz bang, to ease of maintenance and
>upgrades for the application when it is in use.

>And so on. I've had the advantage of working for small to medium sized
>companies, where I often *was* the des/dev team, which probably made it
>easier to communicate these points to the boss, or to the client. Well,
>when I was starting out and charging by the hour, the fact that I was
>pointing out that it was me they would paying less for better function
>helped the sell. /lol/ But, of course, the benefit to me was better word
>of mouth, so I gained more than I lost.

>Drawing the profit lines is trickier when you factor in third-party
>software firms... They're profiting by selling their behemoth
>applications to corporations who are then vested in the product and
>likely to buy the upgrades and hope for the best... The problems of
>end-user productivity are not theirs, so why worry? Hm... A coordinated
>communication/education effort might get somebody somewhere with some of
>those bloated corporate software providers, but... Using the legal
>options when possible as disincentive can be called communication and
>education, too!

>So our Operation Fulcrum is indeed a balancing act, isn't it?

>Tami

>On 02/17/2013 05:02 PM, Mike Freeman wrote:
>> Problem is that I don't believe companies can truly make a larger prophet by
>> making things accessible. If we buy that one, we're only kidding ourselves.
>>
>> And half the time, we on this list can't solve the problems vicariously
>> because each situation is different, the number of technologies being
>> required to work together seamlessly presents a plethora of permutations and
>> combinations that aren't easily anticipated and, in any event, we've agreed,
>> at least in principle, that it is unrealistic to expect that all interfaces,
>> software and such meet minimum standards for accessibility while having
>> their fancy stuff not interfere.
>>
>> Let's face it, we're a small minority. So for the most part, the law,
>> ineffective as it sometimes is, is about our only point of leverage.
>>
>> If we *did* do an investigation of this topic formally, would it be called
> [...]
>>> you.  What does not work is to ask someone to make "X" accessible for you.