[nfbcs] Inaccessible Training - again

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Wed Feb 20 15:23:13 UTC 2013

Someone said that a lot of software is generated auto-magically.  I'm a
mainframe programmer; I don't know much about that kind of thing.  But would
it be possible to build accessibility into the software generators, so that
the coder puts in whatever he/she does now, but accessible software comes
out?

I rather naively thought that, when I told HR that the training wasn't
accessible, they would pass the word on to the third-party vendor, and the
next course would be better.  Either HR never did that, or the vendor blew
it off.  Obviously, it wasn't enough of a priority with HR to throw back a
course and say it wasn't acceptable until it was fixed.

I sometimes wonder if more would be accessible if blind people worked in the
places writing the software.  Our internal websites are very accessible.
The website group manager used to sit in the next cubicle to me, so he knew
at least one blind person would be using his work, and thought to build in
accessibility.  I think many software companies don't even think of blind
people at all, and I suspect that's especially true if the software is
written in India or somewhere where most blind people still have to beg for
a living.
But I may be wrong about this whole idea.  I gather Microsoft has a whole
accessibility team, but just blows them off if it might delay a project to
add accessibility.
Tracy