[nfbcs] Accessible CS books (was bs is bs)

Mike Jolls majolls at cox.net
Sat Feb 23 01:03:06 UTC 2013

Tami

If there's any way I can help you get a set of the Braille books, let me
know.  Perhaps giving you the name of our "Commission for the blind" here in
Nebraska, you could call them and see if you could send them a check and
have them print and mail you a set of books.  I think they are $30 or $35 a
set.  Let me know if you'd like to try that and I can talk to them.

I hear you loud and clear on the "falling into the vision trap".  I have
pretty good vision for a partially sighted person, I think.  I use
magnification (Zoom Text) and a CCTV to read a lot of things.  At work, I
have ZoomText and Jaws on my computer, and I use the ZoomText a LOT to read
the program code that I'm working on.  I've been debating about stopping
using ZoomText and using Jaws and my Braille display exclusively.  That
might help me speed up my Braille.  As I said in my earlier post, you want
to try to approach 200 words per minute or more in Braille, and I am
definitely not there at my 70 or so WPM.  I have heard there are some who
can read that fast, but it seems to me they're people who started reading
Braille when they were 6 years old.  I am definitely not reading that fast,
but I didn't start until about 7 years ago.  I'm 56 right now.  If I did
stop using ZoomText and depending on magnification, I would hope that would
force me to get better with my Braille and maybe I'd see the speed
improvement I have been trying to, and know I need to, achieve.  But I hear
you about falling into the trap.  It's really easy to do when you have
vision.  It's just natural to use it.

I also hear you about people asking .. "why do you need Braille?".  The
people that ask you that question are of the opinion that if you have sight,
you MUST use print.  They don't understand that there are differing levels
of blindness.  And blindess doesn't mean absence of vision.  They don't get
it that you could have vision, but reading is not effective (too slow, too
difficult) because of the poor vision that you have.  Most people are OK
with it once you explain it to them, but I have found a few people that are
jerks and just can't comprehend why a low vision person would want to learn
Braille when they have any vision, no matter how poor.  Well, you can't fix
stupid, so you just have to ignore them.

So, am I correct in assuming you're a working person in IT?  If so, what has
your work experience been with respect to work?  Have you been able to
advance as you think you should?  Or, have you been passed over?  And if
passed over, what reasons do they give?  I'm just curious how my experience
compares to other people's.  I'd be interested to hear your experiences.
What gets me is that we get penalized for something we can't change.  I
mean, we can't change our vision and (at least in my opinion) my performance
is held against me because I don't perform as quickly as others due to my
vision.  How does your experience compare against that?

And here's something you might find interesting.  I've heard blind people
say ... "I want to be treated like a normal person.".  All I can say is ..
in a perfect world that's good .. but be careful what you wish for.  When
you're held to the normally sighted standard, and that's probably the way it
should be, you may come up lacking if you try to perform the tasks with
vision that is less than perfect.  And, you may be in for a surprise when
review time comes.  But I do think we should be measured against the normal
person.  It's just that it's not always fun when the rewards don't come
because you don't measure up.  There have been times in the past when I have
thought ... "what's the use" ... and wish I could just stop trying.  What's
your take on that?

I'll sign off.  Hope to hear from you, and anybody else that would like to
comment.

Mike