[nfbcs] Using a braille display

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Sat Feb 23 21:08:16 UTC 2013

I've been thinking about what I said earlier about how I use the braille
display, and I was wrong.  I said I use it to read little bits, and use
speech to read large hunks of text, and that's true.  But I use the braille
display to arrow down through, say, a page of error messages, looking for
the ones that are real errors and not bogus ones.  Jaws is still saying the
beginning of the line, and I've already read the bit in braille saying what
kind of error it is.
I also noticed, messing with my email this morning, that I frequently check
where I am with the braille display, and use the cursor routing keys to yank
my cursor to where I want to be.
I also look at the braille to see where I am when the braille seems to be
changing before Jaws starts chattering.

So, I thought a person with good enough vision might use that vision in the
same way as I'm using the braille display, but now I think maybe not.
Tracy