[nfbcs] Using a braille display

Mike Jolls majolls at cox.net
Sun Feb 24 13:27:46 UTC 2013

I think it's safe to say that we use speech where we can.  It's fast, and we
can crank the speed so it's faster than what we could read with our vision.
This is especially true for us partially sighted people who have usable
vision.  We use speech to be more efficient, and its use in that application
cannot be discounted.  I'm using speech at this very moment to quickly
proofread this email.

However, Tracy's email below implies an important point.  Speech is not the
only technology that we should use.  While it is important to be sure, it is
not the only method that should be used by visually impaired and blind
people.  I have not found that speech fulfills all requirements.  It's great
for what it can be used for.  However it is vulnerable, especially in cases
which require digesting complex language constructs where a
character-by-character examination of a construct is required.  This
includes learning to spell, and advanced subjects such as math and science
where you have to learn complex constructs.

In other words, it's great to have that method that covers 70% to 80% of our
need, but we also need a method when we are required to slow down and really
study something.  Or, when we are just learning a subject and we need to go
slow so we can learn the character-by-character details in the learning
phases.  Therein, in my opinion, is the justification, even the requirement
for Braille.  It allows us to examine the details when necessary and may
(depending on your level of vision) do it more efficiently than using a
visual method.

And here's a broader question.

I wonder if our educators really understand the benefits and limitations of
speech?  From what I'm hearing and reading, they are eliminating Braille
instruction in favor of speech because they think speech is all we need.

For us in this group, we already know about Braille.  We can choose to use
it or not.  But you can't use something if you're not taught it.  If there
are blind students that are being denied Braille instruction because
administrators think that speech is the panacea that will handle all
situations, then the students are at risk of being denied the knowledge they
need to move into areas where they can make contributions.

I've digressed from Tracy's topic, but I think this is important.  As I said
in my earlier post, I didn't learn Braille.  I tried to use my vision, and
the results were less than desirable.  I just wonder how my life would have
been different if I had been taught Braille.  I'll never know, but I would
hate to think another person would have to go through what I've gone through
and there was something out there that could have been done.

it's them that I'm concerned about that makes me write this.

Your opinions?

Mike