[nfbcs] bs is bs

Aaron Cannon cannona at fireantproductions.com
Mon Feb 25 19:26:55 UTC 2013

Hi John and all.

Sorry it took me a few days to reply to this.  My wife recently had
our third little one, so things have been a bit busy.

Anyway, if I didn't have a good deal of respect for you based on your
other contributions to this list, I doubt I would have replied at all,
but would have instead written your message off as trolling.  However,
based on your past contributions, I feel like it's much more likely
that one of us has simply misunderstood what the other person has
said.  You wrote:
"Nobody on this list has suggested that it is worthwhile going back to
get a Comp Sci degree if you already have a BS is something else."

First, let me quote some things that I did say, so we're on the same page:
"I am one of those who believe that a CS degree can be over-rated.  If
you have the drive to truly learn the fundamentals of computer
science, the hard boring stuff as well as the hard fun stuff, and you
already have a degree (no matter what it's in), then I really don't
believe that it's worth spending all the time and money to get a
second degree in CS.
What you want to do will be hard, but is entirely doable, without
going back to college."

I was simply stating my beliefs, not directly challenging any
particular person or their statements.

Second, I believe that you are mistaken, and that some on this list
have certainly suggested that it is worthwhile going back to get a
Comp Sci degree if you already have a BS in something else.  For
example, majolls at cox.net wrote:
"A 4 year B.S. degree is ABSOLUTELY a requirement. There's a reason
why a computer science major requires 36 (or more) hours (10-12
classes) of study.  It takes awhile to get your head around how
tothink about the computer, how they work, etc... And, there is really
that much material to learn."

Third, you wrote:
"Right. Nobody said you *have* to have a BS degree in Comp Sci to have
a good career as a programmer. It helps, of course. Not only does it
open doors but
it really does help you to know what you are doing."

I don't think it's too unreasonable to interpret this statement to
mean that a CS degree could be worthwhile, even if you already have
another degree.

In short, I'm simply not clear on how you believe I have misunderstood
what has been said.

Regardless of our differences on this issue, I do appreciate all your
past contributions to this list.  I have enjoyed reading them.

Thanks.

Aaron