[nfbcs] Anyone using Focus 40 Blue with Linux

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Wed Jan 16 19:31:43 UTC 2013

Hi, all!

I'm doing my regular assistive tech research, this time with the
possibility of being able to buy something on the horizon... First item
is a modern braille display with features and navigation and all. It
also needs to be useful for computer/science/math, etc., both for
reading and for keyboard input.

So I'm leaning towards the Focus 40 Blue which appears to have what I am
looking for, at least if I were using Windows and JAWS. Since it's a
Freedom Scientific product, and since FS does JAWS, it's natural that
there would be tons of info about that on their site!

While I haven't heard anything re: the Focus 40 Blue on any of my
Linux-specific lists, this could very well mean there is no problem...
Or that people are using other things. A quick and dirty internet search
(or a bit more intense) also reveals no information about the
relationshp between the Focus and Linux... Which could mean there is no
issue or that if you're not using JAWS/Windows, you should shop
elsewhere. I am so confused! /lol/

Anyway, if anyone has any info or better yet experience, I would love to
hear it!

Thanks in advance.

Tami