[nfbcs] Anyone using Focus 40 Blue with Linux

JIm Barbour jbar at barcore.com
Wed Jan 16 20:12:06 UTC 2013

Hello Tami,

I don't know much about the focus 40 blue, but I can give you some
places to start your research.

I think the first question you'll need to answer is how you plan to use
your Braille display with Linux?  Some options are...

* connecting your Braille display to a windows machine running JAWS
  and then ssh'ing to a Linux machine.

* Connecting your braille display directly to a Linux machine and
  using it as the boot console.

* Connecting your braille display directly to a Linux machine and
  configuring a screen reader like Orca to talk to it.

If you want to connect it to a windows machine, then you're probably
all set.  You'll just want to make sure that JAWS does Braille
properly with your ssh client.

If you want to do use your Braille display as the boot console, then
you'll want to make sure that your Braille display can function as a
USB terminal.

If you want to use your display with Orca, then you'll need to check
with the Orca support community and see if anyone has tried the focus
40 blue with Orca.

I hope this is enough to get you started.  If you need more
information, please feel free to reply back and ask.

Take Care,

Jim