[nfbcs] Anyone using Focus 40 Blue with Linux

Blaine Clark blaineclrk at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 07:59:37 UTC 2013

Take a look at this email list subscription page;
http://mielke.cc/mailman/listinfo/brltty

You can look through the archives, but I didn't find an easy way to
search them. You could, and probably should join and ask if there is
Linux support. Be sure to let them know which build and version of Linux
you are using or are planning to use as well as some info on the
computer system.

You might be able to find out fairly inexpensively if you can arrange
for a demo of the Focus 40. Download and properly burn a copy of the
Linux build you wish to use and it should have the 'Live Load' by
default option, most Linux builds do. That means that you can boot from
the ISO disk without installing anything to your hard drive. The Linux
build will run entirely from the memory of your computer without
altering anything on your hard drive. You can then test the Focus 40 and
see if it works. If you haven't yet decided on a Linux build I'd
recommend Vinux which is scripted to initiate speech and Braille display
as it boots in the 'Live Load' usually requiring no action on your part.
http://vinuxproject.org/. That should let you know as soon as your
computer fully starts. The Vinux support list may also be able to tell
you about compatibility and they can help mentor you with practice and
learning;
https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!forum/vinux-support
<https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#%21forum/vinux-support>

Practice with the ISO of Vinux and get familiar with it before trying a
demo.