[nfbcs] FW: Whozit Drives and Write-protect

Joseph C. Lininger devnull-nfbcs at pcdesk.net
Sun Mar 3 12:33:21 UTC 2013

Mike,
I think what Nicole is asking is whether you have the same problem if
you have the problematic flash drive plugged into a computer. That's how
i read the question anyway.

I'm a little late to this discussion, but I recommend first testing the
drive on a computer as Nicole was saying. Also, there might be a
right-protect switch on the drive. The fact two iterations of delete
removes a file makes me think that probably is not the issue; if it were
you could iterate as many times as you wanted and it wouldn't delete.
That being said, it might not hurt to look for a write-protect switch.
Most likely it would be along the side of the drive, you'd feel it as a
small slot in the drive casing. It requires a small stiff object such as
a straight pin to operate. Finally, try running chkdsk on the drive; I
don't think it'll help but it's worth a shot. Also check the root folder
of the drive and see if the read-only attribute is set. Windows only
applies that to files and not folders, but who knows what other devices
might be doing?

I know some of this advice is unlikely to help, but I figure may as well
exhaust all of the possibilities.
Joe