[nfbcs] FW: Whozit Drives and Write-protect

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Sun Mar 3 16:04:35 UTC 2013

Good morning.

My computer gives me mixed messages. When I put the memory stick into the
USB slot and try to open it, windows says I need to reformat (all the while,
of course, telling me that the drive has zero bytes used even though at one
time, it did not). When I try to reformat the drive, it says the drive is
write-protected. The problem is that the drive doesn't look like a typical
USB stick or, for that matter, a SD card for which I have a reader. It's a
specially-ordered device where the USB stick is encased in rubber with a
ring for putting on a key-chain and having the male USb connector coming out
the end. The other piece to this is a rather abstract representation of
NFB's "Whozit" logo with a slot in one end into which you put the business
end of the drive when not in use to protect it. This has nothing to do with
computer science except that it lends plausibility to my not having a clue
whether (or if) there's a write-protect switch. I'll do more sleuthing. But
you'd think someone on the NABS list (it was students that were selling
these) would already have answered my question. :-)

Anyway, I'm wasting everyone's time here.

Cheers.!

Mike Freeman