[nfbcs] Accessibility of Open Office and Lotus Symphony under Linux and Windows

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Sun Oct 6 18:53:49 UTC 2013

Peter,

Orca is the screen reader for Linux, and it is totally free, no SMAS or
anything! There are others for various functions and command line use,
but for working with the GUI, Orca is it. It does very well and is under
constant development to keep up with changes.

LibreOffice is really accessible on Linux, but I don't know about
Windows. I've never tried

For braille, you have BRLTTY and liblouis, which are also under constant
development and maintenance, so support there is also getting better all
the time. Again, it's all open source so free.

There are some multimedia types on the Orca list:
good discussions in the archive, I'm sure, or ask questions on the list.

That's about all I know! Well, and that given the cost of Windows
software for the stuff you do, you can save 4 or 5 figures worth in a
hurry. Worth the learning curve if you ask me! /smile/

Good luck!

Tami