[nfbcs] compiler and formatting

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Fri Sep 6 19:00:26 UTC 2013

Tarra,

I missed some of this thread so perhaps this has been addressed already, but formatting is somewhat subjective and even personal.
I would talk to your professor or to an assistant if there is one to get a sense of just what he feels is important.  When I was
doing more programming in C, I remember that the idea of braces on lines by themselves was not universal, for example.  Generally,
the level of indentation should represent the level within the logical hierarchy, but should lines occurri9ng between braces be at
the same level of indentation as the braces or should the lines between the braces be indented further?  Maybe the professor's
largest concern is just that some kind of formatting be done.

Some of the other text editors around have more options to help you with editing than NotePad.  For example, some will
automatically start a new line at the same level of indentation as the one above, so you need only think about indentation when
you need to change it.  Some text editors let you save to another system using FTP so you might be able to get the file on the
linux server without cutting and pasting.  There are a lot of options, probably too many to investigate to get through your
current class, but are worth investigating if you are going to do programming.

Good luck.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson

On Fri, 6 Sep 2013 16:55:32 +0000, Tara Annis wrote:

>Ian, thanks for the info.  For clarification:  I'm using Windows 7 but  am logging into the University's system with Linux  to
use VIM.  I don't mind logging in to use it, I just don't like how JAWS is reading text for editing purposes.  I've also been
looking for key commands for cutting code from Notepad into VIM. I think it is something like doing the set clipboard = unnamed in
VIM, then doing the control X in Notepad, then doing a *P or +P to paste into VIM.
>If I can find  this key command sequence, I should be fine with VIM.

> Formatting: I worried about this because my instructor had stated in all the assignments, "do not align all of your code on the
left side, or you'll receive a 0 for the entire assignment."  So, I wasn't sure what looked good visually.  I've been putting the
left and right brace on their own lines, lined up in the same column, and then writing statements between the braces.  So, I
wasn't sure if I was supposed to put braces on column 1 and ten start each line of statement on column 4 or 5?  I can definitely
ask the instructor, but I asked the list since I thought you all may have specific  techniques you use with a screen reader to
format correctly.