[nfbcs] SQL training

Brian Buhrow buhrow at nfbcal.org
Wed Aug 20 15:52:35 UTC 2014

	hello tracy.  If you're interested in taking a class to learn SQL,
I suggest looking around for a class on an introduction to databases
in general with an emphasis on the particular database you're using at
work.  SQL syntax isn't that hard to learn from books and the like, but
gaining a broader understanding of database designs, structures and use
cases is.  Most database engines in common use today use SQL to manipulate
their controls and import and export data.  I would imagine, then, that you
might find a class at a local community college entitled something like: "A
practical introduction to databases using MYSQL" or something like
that.   Such a class would be exactly what you need to get started down
the path of becoming a database and SQL techie.  I can tell you from
experience that having a good understanding of how relational databases,
and this is what all of them are these days, is invaluable when it comes to
learning and using SQL syntax effectively.  Early in my career a colleague
gave me a 10 minute lecture about how to construct queries against
relational databases.  I was able to take the knowledge gleaned from that
discussion and rewrite a report generator we used in a production
environment in such a way that its execution time was  reduced by 12 hours.
That's powerful medicine and it gave me a new respect for database experts.
	By the way, it's worth mentioning that it would probably be best if
you can get a class that uses the same database engine you use at work for
its practical exercises, but if you can't find one that's convenient or
workable, taking a class that teaches the general concepts but uses a
different software package will still provide you a valuable benefit.  The
concepts will be directly transferable to the software you use at work.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

-Brian