[nfbcs] SQL training

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Wed Aug 20 17:15:51 UTC 2014

Tracy,

Since you already know how databases are organized and how they work, a
good book or tutorial along with advice from colleagues would probably
do you. SQL itself is relatively simple and straightforward to someone
experienced in programming, or at least it seems to to me. Between
database engines, the differences in syntax are slight, so it's easy to
just learn what is different and remember that. If I'm trying to do
something really clever and tricky, I can get hung up on the logic of
joins or unions or whichever, especially since I'm not using it all much
these days. But usually, once I get the logic of how the data relates,
writing the code is then easy. You should be able to pick it up pretty
quickly.

Tami