[nfbcs] Office 2013: Very Much A Work In Progress

Gary Wunder gwunder at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 24 18:26:25 UTC 2014

Dear Mike:

Perhaps one of the things we need to address is whether or not making things
screen reader compatible truly does limit innovation. Is screen reader
technology so far behind state-of-the-art technology that this is the case,
or are we talking about the failure to add a few lines of code in this new
technology that makes it play well with the assistive technology we need? I
lack the expertise to answer this question, but it seems to me to be all
important. We go to Congress each year with the message that accessibility
is easy and doable. I have never heard the software companies argue to the
contrary. What I do often hear from software developers is that it is too
costly to go back and modify their legacy code but that new development will
certainly incorporate accessibility. Only recently have I heard the idea
that demanding accessibility threatens innovation. Can someone with some
expertise in state-of-the-art coding and state-of-the-art screen reader
technology set me straight. It seems to me that this argument, if true,
changes where we need to place our emphasis. If it is false, it needs to be
revealed as such. If it is true, then we need to place more emphasis on
bringing the screen readers into the second decade of the twenty-first
century.