[nfbcs] BlueJ and JAVA Access Bridge

Peter Donahue pdonahue2 at satx.rr.com
Thu Feb 27 02:42:02 UTC 2014

Good evening everyone,

    This afternoon I downloaded and installed a program called BlueJ that is used to develop applications using JAVA. When I launched the editor I could not do anything with it. Exploring their Web site further I discovered that screen reader support is built in but one needs to enable the JAVA Access Bridge (JAB) to use BlueJ with a screen reader. The process for doing this was outlined and I expect to do this over the next few days. My question is that if the JAB is required to use BlueJ will the resulting applications created using this IDE also require the JAB so blind users can access them with a screen reader? It seems like this question has come up here before but I can't remember the rules of when the JAB is needed and when it is not to use applications developed with JAVA?

 In a class I took in the early 2000's we used JAVA as our programming language. We used TextPad for the editor pared with the JDK without the need for a helper application such as the JAB. A refresher on when the JAB is necessary for using JAVA apps with screen readers and when its use is unnecessary will be very much appreciated.

Peter Donahue

---