[nfbcs] Legal Requirements for Website Accessibility

John Heim via nfbcs nfbcs at nfbnet.org
Wed May 14 15:07:58 UTC 2014

I accidently found out just now that our whole discussion about the 508
regulations is moot. I don't know how I missed this but back in March,
the Justice Department got H&R Block to agree to make their web site
accessible under the ADA. I had heard some time ago that the Justice
Department had said they belived the ADA applied to web sites but this
is the first I've heard of them enforcing it.

So, Nicole, if you are still reading this thread, I think you can safely
tell your credit union that the ADA applies to web sites.  If you need a
link, here it is:

http://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/2014/March/14-crt-239.html

There still is the whole issue of enforcement. But I would think that
since it is now so clear that legally, a web site has to be accessible,
your credit union would have to take action to fix the accessibility.
They may continue to drag their feet, giving excuses like, "We're
working on it," and "We've done our best." But short of that, I think
they'll have to fix the site.