[nfbcs] Accessible UNIX / LINUX Help Request

Tami Jarvis via nfbcs nfbcs at nfbnet.org
Sat May 17 19:51:22 UTC 2014

Hey, Ian! Here are some links to Orca information:

orca-list mailing list
orca-list at gnome.org
The manual is at

I'm currently running Ubuntu 12.10. Getting Orca up and running was not
too difficult once I got speech happening. One snag I encountered was
that the sound was muted at first, so I couldn't use Orca to find out
the keystrokes to unmute the sound. Fortunately, I had another computer
to use to look it up, but it was very frustrating! Which reminds me. I
need to review those keystrokes before I get myself in the same trouble
again. /lol/

I'm preparing belatedly to upgrade my Ubuntu system, so I'll be going
through the steps again and may be able to intelligently (ha!) talk you
through them... There are now other accessible distros that work with
Orca. I haven't been paying enough attention to the buzz on those to be
useful at this point.

When I get my own system cleaned up, backed up and upgrade, I'll be in
touch, since the process for that and also for getting Orca going again
will be fresh in my so-called brain. :)

Tami