[nfbcs] security, linux vs Windows

Littlefield, Tyler via nfbcs nfbcs at nfbnet.org
Thu May 22 19:37:27 UTC 2014

I'm going to reply to your points inline because it makes them easier to
address.
On 5/22/2014 3:03 PM, John Heim via nfbcs wrote:
> Tyler, you can't just dismiss the point about most viruses being
> written for Windows. You sy you don't believe that matters? Why the
> heck not? As a practical point, it would make sense for someone to
> switch to linux just to avoid the vast majority of viruses.

It certainty would make sense to switch if your only issue is not
getting viruses. For what it's worth, running on Windows if you keep
some common sense about you you're not going to get a ton of viruses
anyway. If the only requirement is that you are running on a system with
a lower market share and thus less viruses, then more power to you.
People used to say that about OSX too, until there were a few viruses
out and about. The fact that there are more viruses for windows isn't a
testament to the ease of writing for either platform, just the higher
market share. while still far behind, Ubuntu and OSX are closing the
gap, so this may not be the point for much longer.

> Your point about Windows coming with a firewall isafairly minor point.
> First of all, "easier to make secure" and "more secure" aren't the
> same thing. Secondly, just having a firewall at installation isn't
> enough to make Windows easier to secure than linux. Installing a
> firewall isn't the hard part, configuring it is. It takes about 2
> seconds to install a firewall and that alone isn't a  significant
> difference. It's like saying a Ford is a better car than a Rolls Royce
> because it's easier to change the tires. Well, that may be a point in
> favor of Ford but not a significant one.

Fair enough. My point was if a system built for the typical end-user is
already protected, whether or not the protection is more open than you
or I would like, it still says a lot for the deployment of that system
and it's security out of the box. Most distros (Debian and Ubuntu for
example, as I've already pointed out) come with services running that
don't need to be by default and no default block input policy. obviously
this doesn't make one more secure than another, but a user needs to know
to disable those, or bind them to loopback or even just protect them
with iptables.

> Open source software has, over all, been far less vulnerable to
> exploits than  proprietary. Apache is far more secure than IIS, for
> example.   In fact, unlike some of the exploits that were discovered
> in Windows systems, including all the third party software for
> Windows, the damage done by that openssl exploit was trivial. It was a
> pain for all of us to have to change our passwords but very little
> actual damage was done. Equivalent exploits in Windows programs have
> caused far more damage. In a way, this is the flip side of the point
> about viruses. The reason the openssl bug was so important was that
> openssl is used everywhere. If so many servers weren't running linux,
> it wouldn't have mattered so much. It's amazing how little damage was
> done and that's because the good guys discovered it before the bad
> guys. And the only reason they were able to do that is because it's
> open source.

Where exactly are you getting your metrics about what damage was done
with the OpenSSL bug and the fact that open source software has been
less vulnorable than proprietary software? The heartbleed bug allowed an
attacker to read ~64K data; it was already shown that passwords could be
retrieved. Given that this existed for 2 years, nothing says that the
bad guys didn't get it or even make use of it. There are a lot of
problems with this specific bug: all certificates needed to be revoked
and reissued, after which point all passwords had to be reset so that
any compromised passwords would not work anymore. This lead to another
issue in that a lot of end-users tend to use a select few passwords; one
user's email password (which could've been compromised via this bug)
would probably work for social networking sites, etc etc. Finally, there
are currently a lot of revokation issues that are being drawn into the
light [1]. the key point here is that a lot of browsers are still
vulnerable to MITM attacks as a result of faulty handling of certificate
revocations. You also mentioned that Apache is "far more secure than
IIS." I'm particularly curious where you get these metrics, because [2]
suggests that there are still a lot of problems with apache, as with any
software.

Finally, you mentioned that the OpenSSL exploits were in some sense a
testament to the wide-use of Linux. It is not just Linux that uses this
library; many applications on Windows make use of it; for example, the
heartbleed bug had a lot of far-reaching implications for TOR, both
server and client, as well as messenger clients, IRC etc etc.

[2]: http://httpd.apache.org/security/vulnerabilities_22.html