[nfbcs] Telling employers about disability and question about work expectations

John G. Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Thu Oct 2 13:47:00 UTC 2014

I've made this point many times on this list and others. It's not a
crime being an average computer technologist -- unless you are blind. A
lot of average people skate by in life, not just computer technologists
but teachers, cab drivers, secretaries, brick layers, etc. If you're
blind, you can't just skate by.

I think the only anser to the dilemma your boss gave you is to work
twice as hard as the next guy. Or be twice as smart. Or both.

IMO, the real shame is the lack of understanding within the blind
community for those of us who struggle. I think it comes from people not
wanting to believe that it can happen to them. If they blame it on the
blind person, they can fool themselves into thinking that since they
aren't going to make a mistake like that, it can't happen to them. But
the truth is that it can happen to anybody. I don't care how good you
are, the technology might change and your next boss might not give you
the time you need to adapt. If that has never happened to you, consider
yourself lucky.

On 10/02/14 07:19, Mike Jolls via nfbcs wrote:
> In my experience, the company values you if you can do for them what they need to have done, and do it quickly.  Their favorite expression is ... "well let's just 'knock this out' " ... meaning ... "get it done as quickly as you can".  The person that can do that is valued more (from my perception)than the person that takes longer.  From my work experience, having good knowledge doesn't matter as much as getting it done fast.  I'm currently working on converting an application from Visual Basic to Java and the web.  The boss laid out a training schedule which was rather aggressive.  I know how fast I read, and this training was all reading.  I was going to have problems with his schedule.  So I told him ... "this is an aggressive schedule - I'll do the best I can but just be aware I may not be able to get it done by the schedule you've set forth".  His response was ... "well if you can't do it, we'll just get someone else who can".  Basically, by setting the schedule the way he did
 ,
 he could tell his boss ... "I'm just setting a reasonable schedule" and he looks good in his boss's eyes.  However what it meant for me was that I have to work extra hours just to keep up.  And that's why I say ... at some level, they don't care if you're disabled ... they just want the work done.

> My wife had a similar experience in a job she had one time.  She was in training and was doing her best.  However, she wasn't going as fast as they wanted.  Eventually they let her go.
>
> That's why I asked the question ... are blind (totally or partially sighted) students being told the importance of having their skills up to speed?  And by "up to speed" ... I'm not just using a catchy phrase.  In order to be able to work anywhere you want to work, you have to have the knowledge certainly, but you also have to be able to produce at an acceptable rate.   Perhaps some employers will disregard your "slower speed" because of the disability, and that's great if you work for a company that does.  Not all will.  I think a person has to be prepared for both situations because you never know what environment you're going to find yourself in based on the type of work you choose to do.  I was not told any of this when I was a student.  I had to find out the hard way what happens when you have a disability and it's difficult to keep up.  I just don't want for others be so naïve or unaware  when they enter the workforce as I was, and then have the disappointments that I've had
hen you aren't valued as much as others and they move ahead and you stand still.