[nfbcs] Helping a software engineer keep his job

Brian Buhrow buhrow at nfbcal.org
Fri Oct 17 19:31:42 UTC 2014

	Hello.  I would dispute that using a windows terminal with ssh into a
Linux box is an efficient way to work.  The problem is that there is no
modern version of a windows screen reader I know of that can give accurate
row and column information about where my cursor is in the terminal or
where a particular character appears on the screen.  Not having this
information makes it very hard to look at tabular data or to edit files
with a screen based editor like vi and have any hope of getting reasonable
formatting.  I've used Yasr all day, every day at my job for the past 7
years.  After some initial patches I made to improve stability with its
interactions with the software synthesizer I use, I've found it can run for
weeks at a time without a reboot or  any issues.

	For the record, it used to be that every year I would visit the
Freedom Scientific booth at the NFB convention and ask them if they fixed
their interaction with Putty so I could get row and column information out
of the terminal.  Every year they'd wonder why under God's green earth I'd
want that information.  Finally, since I had a solution that worked for me,
I gave up.

	If someone is using a full screen terminal program with Jaws, NVDA or
VoiceOver for the Mac and successfully using ssh to get into a Linux or
other Unix system and then using that connection to use programs that
provide output in a full-screen manner, please speak up.  I'd love to know
how you do it and how it works.
-thanks
-Brian