[nfbcs] Helping a software engineer keep his job

Doug Lee dgl at dlee.org
Fri Oct 17 20:03:00 UTC 2014

Not sure if this helps, but in case...

I use Cygwin's ssh client to access MacOS, FreeBSD, and Linux. Most of
what I do is not full screen, but I have used Vi and Lynx, besides
mail clients. The ease of setting this up has varied among Windows
versions, and JAWS 12 was the last JAWS version that got full-screen
redraws right every time. I work around the JAWS problem by redrawing
screens in Mutt (my mail client) occasionally. Terminal emulation
issues have also beset me from time to time but have yet to prove
insurmountable.

A few tips:

For Lynx, use -show_cursor so that the cursor position will identify
links and such.

For mail clients that allow it, use an arrow (->) to mark the current
message. I find the cursor goes with this.

For Vi, turn screen echo off.

For everything, use a blinking underline cursor if possible. I can
script the tracking of a solid block cursor but prefer not to bother.

I've been using terminal interfaces for Unix variants for about 28
years by now.