[nfbcs] Helping a software engineer keep his job

David Andrews dandrews at visi.com
Sat Oct 18 11:02:02 UTC 2014

I have read with interest all the back and forth on this topic, and
have found it to be interesting, and hopefully useful.  One of the
takeaways I gekt from it, and from my 30  plus years of experience
with Assistive Technology is that there is a steep learning curve
with all of it.  For someone loosing his or her sight, it is a big
adjustment.  It is an unreasonable expectation by an employer to
expect him/her to be instantly, or quickly up to speed with
everything.  It takes a bunch of time, learning, talking to people,
experimentation, reading, etc.  Plus the person may be having to make
personal adjustments to changing vision as well.

I have found that there are tasks that we can do as quickly as
sighted people, some that take more time, and some we can do more
quickly.  It takes a while to work all of this out on any
job.  Competitive efficiency is always the hidden elaphant in the
room, and we don't talk about it a lot, because it makes us all nervous!

Dave

E-Mail:  dandrews at visi.com or david.andrews at nfbnet.org